Tuesday, April 9, 2019

G Suite Part 1: Google Docs & Slides

Hi Everyone! 


So I started this blog to talk about must-have-tech in my classroom and let me tell you - G Suite is the go-to for my students and myself in my classroom. I love how the G Suite has so many tools and apps all together, and the extensions are endless! With each program in the G Suite, students and teachers can collaborate with each other in real time. Today I am going to share with you just two of the many apps with G Suite: Google Docs and Google Slides.

Let me break it down for you:

Google Docs

Google Docs is an online collaborating software to create and edit documents. The greatest feature is the collaborative part. Students and teachers can share documents with each other and edit them together. Most people understand that Google Docs is a great tool for students in ELA where they have to write, edit, and publish essays, but many people don't realize how it can be used in a Math classroom. Here are some ways I use Google Docs in my classroom:

  • Have students create a "How To" for a specific topic. For instance - if we are doing a unit on fractions, I would have students create a poster or a "How To" with a specific operation of fractions. 
  • Teach students how to use the Math Type Add-On. It allows students to create their own mathematical equations. It's easy and you can have students create their own questions for each other to answer. 

  • Teachers can use Google Docs to create and edit lesson plans together as well. 

Google Slides

Google Slides is a collaborative presentation program that has endless possibilities! The obvious task is to have students create presentations to demonstrate mastery of a skill. Something you can also do with Google Slides is create task cards for students to complete digitally or with paper and pencil. This will save you so much paper and time because you can assign the Google Slide right through Google Classroom, so students will get a read only copy. I also have students create their own vocabulary flash cards with Google Slides.



How else do you use Google Docs and Google Slides in your classroom? Drop a comment below to share!

☆Alexandra☆




No comments:

Post a Comment

Promethean Board Part 1: Five Best Features of the Infinite Whiteboard

Hello Everyone!  So I’ve been recently taking workshops to help better me as a teacher, as we all do, and I’ve bee...